Many people value their carpets because of the specific personality they add to the room and to the house as a whole. However, keeping the floor clean is not always an easy task. That is why we will show here some simple but efficient DIY methods to help you maintain your carpet brand new.
How to remove gum or furniture indentations?
In order to scrape off a gum of the carpet’s fabric, you can freeze the place using an ice cube. For removing the furniture indentation:
- just leave an ice cube on the indented sport and wait until it melts
- blot the excess
- cover the place with a cloth and iron until it dries
- use a vacuum cleaner to fluff the fabric
Removing the wax and stains
Stains on the carpet are not only irritating but they can ruin the carpet’s fabric. That is why some urgent measures should be taken immediately after the spilling accident. Follow these simple steps:
- Vacuum the whole area.
- Make a solution from 3 parts water and 1 part vinegar. Spray it over the spill and leave it for a few minutes.
- Cover the place with a white cloth and iron so that the stain could transfer on the cloth.
If the problem is a wax stain, just follow step 3.
Beware, do not apply iron directly on the carpet, as it may cause fibers melting!
High Traffic Areas
To prolong the life of your rugs and carpets, especially when they are located in high traffic areas, you can turn them on 180 degrees every few months.
If dirt stains are caused by high traffic, you can apply shaving cream on them. This is a good method to not only remove these stains, but also to soften the fabric.
Bad Odor and Oil Stains
If your carpet emits a bad odor, you can eliminate that problem using baking soda. This method will also help you to absorb oil stains. The easiest way to do that is to shake baking soda all across the room, especially on the stains, and let it sit for a few minutes. After that you just vacuum it up.
Another method to remove a stubborn stain from the carpet is to use a window cleaner or rubbing alcohol. Here are the steps to follow:
- Apply it to a cloth and scrub the carpet in a circular motion.
- Rinse with some water and leave it to dry.
- After it is completely dried, you can vacuum the carpet to make it fluffy again.
Removing the pet hairs
If you have a pet in your house that leaves tiny hairs all across the room and on the furniture, you can remove them by using a squeegee. This method will help you get rid of stubborn pet hairs even on the car seats and fabric furniture.
If you think that carpet cleaning and maintenance takes too much time and hassles, you can simply call professional carpet cleaners who will do the job for you, leaving you carpet with a brand new look.