Milk is often used by the homeowners as a great ingredient. It is used in different recipes and tasty dishes. But it can turn to a disaster when it is spilt on the carpet. A milk can cause an ugly stain on your beautiful carpet, but the biggest problem is that it emits bad odour and becomes a ground for insects and mites to grow. The milk split can ruin your carpet if no adequate measures are taken.
Thus, it is very important to clean the mess before your expensive carpet is ruined. The following useful tips will help you deal with this issue the best possible way.
- Immediately after the milk spill, take a sponge or a clean cloth to blot the milk with it. The spilled liquid will be absorbed and removed from the carpet fibres. Ensure to clean up the spill as much as possible.
- The next thing to remove the ugly stains of the milk is to apply the right cleaning detergent. If you don’t have a carpet cleaning product available at home, you can mix a non-bleaching detergent for laundry with warm water in a ratio one to four parts. This is an effective homemade cleaning solution.
- Next, apply the available cleaning detergent directly on the soiled area and let it soak for 5 minutes.
- Then, repeatedly blot the area with a clean cloth. The whole process should be repeated a few more times until the stain is completely gone. This would require some patience from your side, but the result is guaranteed.
- Spill a cup of water in the area with the stain and dry it using a clean rag.
- Ensure you thoroughly remove the residue from your carpet to leave nothing behind.
Another effective method to remove the milk spill from the carpet is to do the following steps:
Step 1: Soak up the spillage immediately. This step is extremely important to prevent milk to penetrate deeply into the fibres.
Step 2: Next, soak with white vinegar the affected area of the carpet.
Step 3: Take a paper towel to blot the vinegar.
Step 4: Repeat steps 2 and 3 as much as needed until the stain is completely removed.
Although the vinegar has some smell and is there for a while, it would not only completely disappear but it will also remove the bad odour that the milk has left. After some time, your carpet will smell fresh and will look clean.
Take in mind that these advices are given for a small spot on the carpet. If the stain is too huge for you to deal with or if the entire carpet is covered with milk, the best decision would be to call a carpet cleaning company. They will apply special techniques to remove the spill and prevent the damage. They have a pro equipment that would allow them to deal with the stubborn stains, so your carpet would return its newly appearance and great look.