Cleaning the mattresses on your own is a tiresome task that requires skills and knowledge to perform it the right way. If not properly performed, there is a risk of ruining the whole mattress. That is why most people in Mitcham prefer to hire professional mattress cleaners. Yet, if you would like to try to perform mattress cleaning in Mitcham on your own, here are some tips to follow and what you have to do and what you should avoid at all cost.
Tips on the process of mattress cleaning
- To start with, turn your mattress over with the bottom up.
- Use a mattress cleaning solution to remove some small stains. You can mix that solution with some water to make the detergent mild and harmless for the fabric. The best choice would be eco-friendly cleaning solutions that are safe for environment and for people and pets, too.
- For removing the larger stains, use towels that would soak up the liquid.
- Before using the mattress and make up your bed, you need to ensure that the surface is completely dry. You can accelerate the process of drying by leaving the mattress outdoors if the weather is dry and hot, or by using an electric fan indoors.
- For the stubborn stains, buy a special cleaner that is intended for mattresses. Read and follow the instructions on the label, but always test the effect of the cleaner on a small area first, before applying it on the entire mattress.
- It is a smart idea to use a matter cover that would protect your mattress not only from spills and dirt, but from bed bugs, too.
- At least once per 3 months turn your mattress over and ensure to thoroughly vacuum it.
- Spraying a baking soda on the surface before vacuuming and letting it stay for several hours is an effective way to fight against the bad odours.
Tips on what to avoid when you perform DIY mattress cleaning
- The mattress cleaning experts advise to never use a dry cleaning solution when you clean your mattress.
- Do not sprinkle any baking soda on your mattress when the surface is wet. If you do so, it will form a paste that will be difficult to remove. Always sprinkle baking soda on a completely dry mattress only.
- Do not use a washing machine to clean your mattress even if it is thin enough to enter in it. If you would like thorough cleaning, you can use a hose instead and clean it in the bathtub. In that case, you can try a household cleaner to help you in removing the dirt.
What if the mattress is heavily soiled?
If your mattress is heavily soiled, the cleaning experts in Mitcham would advise you to replace it with a new one. Although you are going to invest some money in it, it surely will worth it. Well, the other option is to pay less and to call professional mattress cleaners in Mitcham like Mvir Cleaning, who will restore your mattress as much as possible extending its life.